So as you probably already know I love to get creative with food, to be more specific, plant food. As a Nutritional Therapist and food blogger there is nothing better than creating something that is both healthy and delicious. But if you add a flare of creativity you get these combos that may just blow your mind. That is how I feel about this recipe. These Lemon Coconut Chickpea Bites are out of this world. I promise you will absolutely love them.
Lemon Coconut Chickpea Bites
I’ll saying that this recipe was a complete accident, which of course are some of my favorite recipes. I was in a rush trying to come up with a dessert to bring to a pot luck which when I go to pot lucks I always try to keep it allergy friendly. I had nothing I could think of, let alone a fridge full of produce to put together my go-to which is the 5 Ingredient Black Bean Brownie Balls.
So, I looked in my fridge which I usually always have some kind of baked beans, I had some dates in the pantry and since lemons are in season I already had a ton of those. So I said, “Alright, lemon bites it is!” Well they didn’t work out the first time, so I showed up to the pot luck with store bought guacamole and blue chips. I was pretty upset but I knew I was on to something.
Fast forward a bunch of improvisation later, and I landed this amazing lemon energy bite that reminded me of a gourmet donut hole.
So here’s my super nutrient dense and healthy recipe inspired by a pot luck recipe gone wrong!
Lemon Coconut Chickpea Bites
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 10-12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free
- Lemon Coconut Balls
- 1 can or 1.5 cups of chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 6–8 Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Coconut Cream Shell
- 4 tablespoons coconut butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter (optional but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Pulse dates in a food processor until they forms a ball.
- Add chickpeas, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, coconut shreds, oats and pulse until combined.
- Carefully roll into 2-inch balls, using the warmth of your hands to mold them together. Should yield 10-12 balls.
- To set, pop in fridge or freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare coconut cream shell sauce.
- In a small pot add coconut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon zest and whisk at a low temperature until smooth. You want a consistency of melted chocolate.
- Then dip each ball into coconut cream sauce and set on parchment paper. Place in fridge to set for 15 min. Will keep fresh in an air-tight bag or container for up to a week. Freeze for longer term storage.
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 19.7g
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 33.8g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 4.5g
I so excited for you to try this recipe, I know you will love it. Make it and be sure to tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural. I love seeing what you guys are preparing in your kitchen :)