So I officially launched a whole foods plant-based meal prep service here in my local Houston area. I have been thinking about it for quite a while and it seemed like the right time to start. It’s a new year and I hear so many saying that their health is something they really want to focus on this year. Well I want to help. So I’m giving people a resource. I’m so excited about it as it’s also encouraging me to come up with more creative ways to eat a variety of plant powered ingredients. This recipe was one that popped into my head after making my last menu, Vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! Inspired by my Mediterranean Stuffed Sweet Potato, this one is just as delicious.
Vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe is really simple to make but has so much flavor and style that you would think it takes all day. My kiddos love it also, my son, who is a food critic of his own, said “This is totally blog worthy”. Haha, I love it when I get things right the first time.
This recipe has a combination of Mexican style ingredients, black, beans, bell peppers, corn, fresh tomatoes, garlic, and of course a ton of spices. I can’t wait for you to try it. I also added some vegan cheese on top because who doesn’t like things cheesy, especially Mexican Food. Only this cheese is fully plant-based and super healthy. I used Nutritional Yeast or what us vegans like to call fairy dust. It’s quite magical I must say.
Nutritional yeast is an inactive form of yeast used as a food. The yeast is cultured and grown typically on glucose like molasses or sugar cane. When the yeast has grown, it’s killed with heat, processed, and dried, making it an inactive nutrient rich yeast. I consider nutritional yeast a “superfood” because it contains tons of B vitamins, protein, and fiber, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast contains 8-10g protein. That’s a lot for such a small amount. Plus it’s a complete protein.
Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor and the taste is similar to a rich sharp cheddar cheese, hence why it’s so popular in vegetarian and vegan lifestyles- it makes the perfect cheesy substitute minus the dairy.
Vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Simple, 30 minute baked sweet potatoes topped with chili and a simple cashew cheese sauce. Delicious, fresh and healthy.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 onion (chopping)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup organic corn
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup black beans or 1 can black beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min – 1 hour).
- In a large mixing pot, melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, add to pot chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and corn, sauté for 5-8 minutes. Then rinsed and drained black beans and add tomatoes to the pot. Add your spices and cook for 10 minutes of medium to high heat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
- While the chili is cooking, prepare your cashew cheese sauce by adding all ingredients to your high speed blender. Blend until smooth & creamy.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender – roughly 25 minutes – remove from oven.
- For serving, smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with black bean chili, cheese sauce and green onion for garnish. Serve and Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 567
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 96.9g
- Fiber: 22.5g
- Protein: 29.8g
- Cholesterol: 0g
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe, make it and be sure to tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural. I love seeing what you guys are cooking up in your kitchen :)