This is like a hug for your stomach; it’s one of those recipes that just makes you feel good, tastes delicious, and is an overall crowd-pleaser. This is definitely the recipe you pull out on a chilly fall day, cold winter night, or when you’re trying to impress guests over for dinner! The beauty of this soup is that you can use about any vegetable you like, although I try to at least have some sort of leafy green. Other vegetables that would be great in this Vegan Coconut Thai Curry Soup include spinach, kale, collard greens, cabbage, mushrooms, bean sprouts, snow peas, carrots, or red bell peppers.
Vegan Coconut Thai Curry Soup
This recipe is great for those evenings when you want something warm and comforting to eat after a long day. I typically will make several servings of this on my meal prep day to last me several days throughout the week and enough to freeze for a dinner night the following week.
This recipe, as with all my recipes, is a guideline to use. Let your taste buds run the show, continually and consistently check for the level of spice, flavor combinations, saltiness, sweetness, etc. The beautiful thing about this dish is you can’t go wrong with what you add to it! Enjoy the cooking process, enjoy taste testing, and of course, enjoy the end product!
And about the noodles? That’s customizable, too! You can skip the noodles altogether if you want, or use your favorite brand of gluten-free vermicelli rice noodles. It’s going to taste amazing.
Vegan Coconut Thai Curry Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Entreé
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 medium size parsnips
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 medjool date
- 4 oz. vermicelli rice noodles
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- GARNISHES (optional)
- green onion
- 1 lime
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Sriracha to taste
- Prepare the vegetables for the soup, so they’re ready to go when needed. Mince the garlic and grate the ginger using a small-holed cheese grater. Peel and dice the parsnips into one-inch cubes. Wash the bok choy well, then chop into one-inch strips, separating the fibrous stalks from the delicate green ends. Thinly slice the red bell pepper and roughly chop the cilantro.
- Add coconut oil to a large soup pot along with the minced garlic, grated ginger, and Thai red curry paste. Sauté the garlic, ginger, and curry paste over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced parsnip and chopped bok choy stalks to the pot (save the leafy green ends for later), sauté for 2 minutes, then add your vegetable broth.
- Bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
- Once the parsnips are tender, add the coconut milk, dates, and half of the red bell pepper + 1 tablespoon of thai curry paste to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and add to the soup.
- Stir, taste, and adjust if needed. Finally, add the bok choy greens and the other half or sliced red bell pepper and let them wilt in the hot soup.
- Allow a few minutes to cool and add in your vermicelli rice noodles + 2 cups of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes, noodles will become soft and ready to serve.
- Serve warm and topped with green onion, lime, cilantro, and/or sriracha sauce. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Fat: 15.7g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Coconut Thai Curry Soup Recipe, it’s a BIG crowd-pleaser and a family favorite. So make it and be sure to tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural. I love seeing what you guys are cooking up in your kitchen :)